Sunday, March 18, 2012

New Focus, New Blog Topic, New Me


Everyone that reads this keeps up with me on Facebook and knows me pretty well. You should all know me well enough to know that I HATE RUNNING. Yes, I know hate is a strong word, that's been shoved down my throat for as long as I can remember but still I choose to use that word knowing full well the severity of it.
I HATE/LOATHE RUNNING
But anyone that knows me also knows I hate to lose, I hate to fail and I HATE to be the weak link. I'm competitive. I don't like admitting I CAN'T (that's a no go word around here) do something, but when it comes to running so often all of those things I just mentioned swirl around me and I feel like a loser.
I HATE RUNNING
All of this is about to change. I don't know how in tune with the Army Physical Fitness Test any of you are, but its composed of two events, 2 minutes of sit-ups (UGH)...2 minutes of push-ups (DOUBLE UGH)...and a 2 mile run (cringe and curl up in the fetal position). The Army standard is to score at least a 180. That would be scoring a 60 (of a possible 100 - not counting the extended scale - I'm not going into that much detail) in each event. The scoring is based on your sex and age. For me that means 45 sit-ups, 50 push-ups and no more that 20:30 on my run. I don't find myself in horrible shape, but this test kills me everytime. And its going to be a constant in my career so its not like I can shrug it off. I WANT TO BE THE BEST! Which means training to perform.
Right now of the 11 of us firefighters I'm one of the lower PT scores. UNACCEPTABLE, both to myself as well as my NCO's. So to counter this I'm giving the extra effort to pull up these scores. Meaning a whole butt load of working out, a whole lot of running, and a lot of pain in my legs I've found out.
I'm going to change my blog focus, or more like give it some focus. The topic will be keeping you all updated on my progress with this training deal. I'm over a week into the regular workouts with Fike and no lie I think I'd be better off if my legs straight fell off, but I'm going to kick butt on my next PT test and if this is what I have to do that, then this is what I have to do. My goal? A 300 score, because let's face it how can you motivate others to demand and give their best if you don't do the same for yourself. So years from now when someone tells me they can't do it or its impossible I can use my experience and tell them they sure as hell can and they best get their asses in gear! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment