Saturday, June 4, 2011

Weekend Edition



Week 1 is in the record books. 12 more to go...perhaps...supposedly all those handy dandy certificates I accumulated during my time in Amherst County just might transfer to the DoD (Dept of Defense) Fire Academy. Impressed? You should be. You should also be impressed at my patience and ability to keep my eyes open through class...through my FIRST RESPONDER class. I have just taken about 3 or 4 giant steps backwards as far as EMS training is concerned. Just means I get to ace everything, right? Right!






I had one of our Sgt's look at me Friday and say "You're the one that's a paramedic right?" I looked confused for a moment and attempted to tell him I wasn't QUITE a medic, to which he said "Well its all the same." Oh Army if you only knew! :-)






The firefighter PT test however is no joke. Hose carry, ladder carry and set up, pull charged hose line, climb ladder, pull a bin of hose, whack a tire with a sledge hammer, drag 150lb dummy, climb ladder, move ladder that you set, and then carry Hurst tool ALL WHILE WEARING A 50LB VEST...in the morning Texas weather? I laugh at my attempt at that test. I'll admit I didn't make it through it. I'd like to say I kicked butt on it, but we have to be realistic. I was spent by the time I made it to the dummy...wishing I had that extra weight to throw around at that point. Good news, it doesn't mean I miss anything in my course. Just means I get to partake in extra PT four days a week...Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Hooah, going to be a beast by the time I'm done.






Army Military Ball coming up next Friday! Get to dress all spiffy in my ASU's.






That was pretty much my week, get up at 0200ish and PT, then change, breakfast, class, lunch, class, formation, dinner, study, sleep, repeat...






Friday we picked up our internet router so guess who now has internet in the room!! AND THAT MEANS I HAVE NETFLIX AGAIN!! Also went to Walmart! Bought a massive bath towel and was super excited about it! Its white and orange if anyone really cares, I had picked up a grey one after eyeing a green one that would have gone all too well with my ACU's. But then I saw the white and orange and figured I needed a little color in my life. Thinking I might break down and by new sheets tomorrow as everything on my bed minus my pillow and pillow case and my fleece blanket are Army issued and I just don't really like the thought of sleeping with that for the duration of my stay in lovely Texas.






Today was awesome in the most lazy of ways...slept til 8 (well after waking up at 4am scared I had overslept through PT), ate a relaxed breakfast, did laundry, spent some time online, organized my stuff, went shopping for necessities, more time online in which I realized just how much I'm missing sports - NASCAR included, even posted a few NASCAR commercials on facebook. Decided I might order that amazing Cardinals shirt I found online, and then kicked back with the guys for awhile...relaxed and amazing...one more day like that then back to it. Hooah!

No comments:

Post a Comment